Mar 28, 2012

Scattered Leaves: The Legend of Ghostkiller by: Lynny Prince

Scattered Leaves: The Legend of GhostkillerScattered Leaves: The Legend of Ghostkiller by Lynny Prince

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I thoroughly enjoyed this fast paced paperback supernatural type story that I received as a part of Goodread's first reads program. The book had a historical Indian base that I was strongly attracted to because of my own distant Indian heritage that I, like the characters in the book, was cheated out of. The book has a lot of action, a little history, a lot of suspense, a little love story, murder, curse, & even time travel. I was a little skeptical going in because I thought "Indians & time travel to prevent a murdering curse that is terrorizing a community" ?? The writer pulled it off beautifully & it just left me wishing it was possible to actually change the past. I found it presented in a way that was both entertaining and believable. There was enough history to inform without boring the reader & to bring you into what was happening & why.

The book begins with describing the Legend of Ghostkiller. Ghostkiller was the name of an Indian man who was hanged with other Indians despite the fact that president Abraham Lincoln had pardoned him for crimes some Indians committed against citizens after the Indians had been cheated, starved, & mistreated. Ghostkiller foretold that gruesome murders would befall the community until his grandson (several generations into the future) corrected the unfair treatment. The killings do occur as foretold & Kyle Ghostkiller is raised and trained to use a special power to travel back in time, after his 25th birthday, to correct the unfair treatment to the Indians. A few different people are to accompany him on his journey to complete his destiny as prejudice FBI agents try to capture them for the most recent murders that have taken place.

Many people in the book have special, mysterious powers which I find fascinating. The action keeps you on your toes as you read & truly makes me wonder "what if". What if the Indians had been treated fairly and not had their land taken away? What if treaties had been honored? What if better treaties had been drawn up & been honored? What if you could go back in time and make it all right?

It is kind of like Back To the Future meets something that actually mattered. I loved it! I hope the next book in the series does this one justice.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway - Disenchanted by Brianna Sugalski

Disenchanted Brianna Sugalski (A Lay of Ruinous Reign, #1) Publication date: January 23rd 2024 Genres: Adult, Fantasy, Roman...