Sep 5, 2013

Review: The Not Even Once Club


The Not Even Once Club
The Not Even Once Club by Wendy Watson Nelson

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I loved the illustrator's work in this book but was pretty torn about the message that a child could not even once make a mistake. I agree with the idea to encourage a child to not even once break a commandment, but what if they do? This book almost makes it seem that they will be doomed.

I made the mistake of reading it WITH my 8 year old before I read it myself & my son was stunned & scared that he had broken a Christian belief because he has drank TEA already. That was just a little crazy to have tea & coffee on the list of things to not do NOT EVEN ONCE. I have never seen a commandment that said not to drink tea! I was shocked and angry that my son was made feel a sinner for drinking TEA.

I understand this could have been a great book, but it a little to hell fire & damnation for a child in my opinion. Jesus forgives & children should try to never break the commandments but they will not go straight to hell for drinking a glass of tea. This book was so beautifully illustrated that I really hate that it seemed overly judgmental for a child to be reading.

I was provided a complementary copy of this book for an honest review / opinion.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway - Disenchanted by Brianna Sugalski

Disenchanted Brianna Sugalski (A Lay of Ruinous Reign, #1) Publication date: January 23rd 2024 Genres: Adult, Fantasy, Roman...